A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is usually a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in a user's web browser while a user is browsing a website. When the user browses the same website in the future, the data stored in the cookie can be retrieved by the website to notify the website of the user's previous activity.
Cookies may be either "persistent" cookies or "session" cookies. A persistent cookie consists of a text file sent by a web server to a web browser, which will be stored by the browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date (unless deleted by the user before the expiry date). A session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
Cookies on this website
We use both session cookies and persistent cookies on this website.
We may send to you the following cookies:
- Google Cookies
- Persistent Cookies (Companies tracking)
- Session Cookies (logged in)
For a list of all non essential cookies used on this website please see the preference centre here.
Cookies do not contain any information that personally identifies you. Cookies are used to identify when your membership number (which is randomly generated when you join) clicks through to and makes a purchase with one of the companies that we work with. This allows us to track your cashback if this is applicable and get better offers from companies.
We may use the information we obtain from your use of our cookies for the following purposes:
- To recognise when your computer visits this website. This is used to let us know how many visitors we have and how many unique visitors we have. This allows us to know how widely used the website is and allows us to obtain better offers from companies
- To track your navigation across our website which allows us to identify user journeys as a whole and improve the website to make sure that members find the offers that they are after as soon as possible
- To see which companies or elements are being viewed the most and therefore improve aspects that are not and increase the number of offers in the areas that are
- To see the traffic sources to the website to make sure that where we are advertising the service is getting the message out
Third party cookies
When you use our website, you may will be sent third party cookies which are described above.
Cookies from the companies that we work with will be placed on your computer when you click through to their website. They may use the information they obtain from your use of their cookies:
- To track your journey from the Blue Light Card to their website
In addition, we use Google Analytics to analyse the use of this website. Google Analytics generates statistical and other information about website use by means of cookies, which are stored on users' computers. The information generated relating to our website is used to create reports about the use of the website. Google will store this information and this will only be available to be viewed by the Blue Light Card. Google's Privacy Notice is available at: http://www.google.com/privacypolicy.html.
Blue Light Card are paid by some of the retailers featured on our service when a member makes a purchase. When you click through to a retailer from our service, your browser may redirect you via an affiliate network which drops a cookie on your computer. The cookie stores tracking information so that when you visit a retailer via our service, any purchases made will result in the retailer knowing that this purchase has been referred by Blue Light Card. The retailer will then send us information about your purchase. No personal information such as your name or email address is involved in this process. Whilst we do not drop the affiliate network cookie, we just wanted to tell you about it before you use our service to make a transaction.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. For example:
- in Internet Explorer you can refuse all cookies by clicking "Tools", "Internet Options", "Privacy", and selecting "Block all cookies" using the sliding selector;
- in Firefox you can block all cookies by clicking "Tools", "Options", and un-checking "Accept cookies from sites" in the "Privacy" box.
You can also delete cookies already stored on your computer:
- in Internet Explorer, you must manually delete cookie files
- in Firefox, you can delete cookies by, first ensuring that cookies are to be deleted when you "clear private data" (this setting can be changed by clicking "Tools", "Options" and "Settings" in the "Private Data" box) and then clicking "Clear private data" in the "Tools" menu.
Doing this may have a negative impact on the usability of many websites.
If you have any questions about our cookies or this cookies policy, please contact us on [email protected] or by writing to us at Blue Light Card, PO Box 10960, Syston Road, Leicester, LE7 4TY.